Preschool Apple Theme Activities
WATCH: Take a Virtual Tour of an Apple Orchard and Packing Facility
Have you ever thought about how apples get from the farm to the table? This activity combines social studies and technology for preschoolers. It allows them to visualize what happens at a packing facility.
Apples travel from the orchard to a packing facility, to a storage unit, to the store, and finally – your home!
What happens at an apple orchard?
- First, the apple trees are grown.
- In the spring blossoms form on the trees.
- Then, these blossoms turn into small apples.
- As time progresses, these apples grow and ripen.
- Then, starting in July, apples are harvested.
- Finally, the harvest continues as different apple varieties are ripe.
See how one family farm harvests the different varieties.
(This video is nice, but long for my preschooler. We watched just a portion to see how the trees and harvest looked like)
What happens at an apple packing facility?
- First, the apples are weighed
- They are put on a convener.
- They are rinsed with heated chlorinated water.
- They are put on a rolling convener.
- The apples are sprayed with water and food safe soap.
- They are dried with a fan.
- Wax is applied.
- Apples run through a drier.
- Apples are hand sorted.
- They run through a color and size sorter.
- Stickers are applied to tell consumers what type of apple they are.
- Apples are placed in trays or bags.
- The trays and bags are put in boxes.
- The boxes are then moved to a storage facility.
Here is a video that shows this process. WARNING – my kids wanted to watch this over and over and over again. You may want to set a limit of how many times they can watch it BEFORE you hit play!
Learn How Apple Cider Is Made
Tour a Carlson Orchards Apple Cider Packing Facility
A variety of apples are used to make apple cider such as the Eastern Red Delicious and Macintosh apples.See the process and equipment that is used to press and process the apples.
Press: A machine that squeezes the juice out of apples
Pasteurization: the process of killing bacteria in the food
Gallon: a unit of measurement for liquid volume
How many minutes does it take to bottle 1,000 gallons of apple cider at this facility?
<hint pay close attention at 3:15>
Make a Model of the Path and Apple Takes from Orchard to Table.
How to Make an apple orchard.
Materials Needed For Apple Orchard
- Empty cereal box
- Scissors (for adults to cut)
- Hole punch
- Green paint
- Red (or green or yellow) pom poms.
Directions for making an apple tree orchard
4. Finally, build the store, packing facility, storage unit and home. Use bricks, blocks or any other household materials.
Preschool Apple Theme Activities Challenge Discussion Question:
- How has modern technology changed the way people get apples?
EVEN MORE Preschool Apple Theme Activities
Examining Apple Parts, How Does It Grow, Sink/Float at Little Bins For Little Hands
MUSIC & MOVEMENT
Apple Hop at Learning 2 Walk
Counting Apples with Preschoolers: Real-Life Math at Life Over C’s
Apple Math Fun in Preschool – Tasting and Graphing Apples at Fun-A-Day
Scented Playdough Pre-Writing Activity at Preschool Toolbox
Apple Sight Word Tree
Apple-Bet Match : Matching Lowercase with Upper Case Letters at Tiny Tots Adventures
Applesauce Dough for Sensory Play at Still Playing School
How to Make Homemade Apple Pie – Cooking with Preschoolers at Powerful Mothering
Apple Oxidation Experiment at Raising Lifelong Learners
Preschool Apple Theme Books
*LIKE THIS? PIN THIS*