One of the beginning concepts in math is positional words. Your child will love learning the terms up, down, under and more with this Dragon Themed Positional Word Game.
A fun preschool math activity to go along with the book Dragons Love Tacos.
Where can your dragon go?
Disclosure: This post contains amazon affiliate links.
Dragons Love Tacos Activity
Explore a time from long ago with a castle and one special dragon who likes to explore in all sorts of directions through the castle. Players learn to create a three-dimensional piece of art that becomes an inspiration for imaginary play. Plus adults can sneak in a little vocabulary as you encourage players to explore positional words.
This Castle Activity is featured in the Art Chapter in our our book 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids .
A fun story to go along with this activity is called Dragons Love Tacos.
Dragons Love Tacos by Adam Rubin
This hilarious story will grab your little one’s interest as he learns about what the dragons like. Did you know that dragons love tacos. They love chicken tacos, beef tacos, great big tacos, and teeny tiny taco. If you want to lure a bunch of dragons to your party, you should definitely serve tacos. Unfortunately, where there are tacos, there is also salsa. And if a dragon accidentally eats spicy salsa . . . oh, boy. You’re in some fire breathing trouble.
Dragon Themed Positional Word Game
Materials for Dragon Positional Word Game
- Cardboard box
- Egg carton
- Googly eyes
- Paint brush
- 3″ x 5″ (7.5 x 13-cm) index cards
Directions to Make Dragon Game
1. Remove the top pieces of the box and then cut out the edges to make the box look like the edges of a castle (adult task).
2. Add a doorway on top and two sides but keep the bottom so it can lift up and down for entrance.
3. Cut out windows on each side of the castle (or color with markers).
4. Decorate the castle with markers and paper to create stonework and plants surrounding castle.
5. Create a dragon using egg carton, googly eyes and paint.
6. Write on index cards directional words including beside, in front of, behind, on top of, above, between, inside and under.
Directions to Play Dragon Game
1. After players have created their three-dimensional piece of art, it’s time to explore the castle.
2. Each player takes a turn by picking a positional word from the word pile and placing the dragon in the castle using the positional word chosen.
3. Players continue to take turns selecting positional word cards and placing dragon accordingly.
BONUS DRAGON ACTIVITY!
Create a positional word book illustrating the dragon’s position within the castle for a fun sight word book.
DRAGON THEMED ACTIVITIES FOR PRESCHOOLERS
Take a moment after you create our dragon themed math activity to check out below the other dragon themed activities to go along with the popular children’s book Dragons Love Tacos.
Smoking Dragon Science– Teach Beside Me
Printable Dragon Game for Kids – Mama Smiles
Dragon Sensory Writing Tray – Inspiration Laboratories
Feed the Dragon Taco Counting Math Game with free printable – Rainy Day Mum
Don’t forget to print out our Book List to follow along with us at the Virtual Book Club for Kids!
Come share your dragon themed activities for Preschoolers and Toddlers in our Virtual Book Club for Kids Facebook group with 10,000+ moms, teachers and grandparents!
Find more activities like this in our book 100 Fun and Easy Learning Games for Kids