We’re learning about letters today with a little inspiration from author Eric Carle. Adding an element from a book can create a hands on opportunity for your child to learn. This month we’re featuring activities by Eric Carle in our Virtual Book Club for Kids. Here’s what we created to share with you.
Caterpillar Lacing Letters
- colored construction paper or scrapbook paper
- whole puncher
- yarn or ribbon
- outline of letters
- outline of caterpillar minimized (Click here for coloring sheet)
- OR green playdough or airclay hardened in shape of caterpillar
- Book: The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle
- Contact Paper or Packaging Tape
- Optional use cardboard for letters for stability
(Or if you have foam letters that are starting to wear down you could punch holes in those)
It’s a terrific activity to help build those hand muscles needed for cutting and writing. Plus you’re acting out the idea of a caterpillar eating the letters.
Cut out circles and attached to mini clothespin to create a caterpillar.
Eric Carle Book Activities
Eric Carle Themed Virtual Book Club Activities
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar I Spy via The Pleasantest Thing
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar Activities: Letter Sorts Growing Book by Book
- DIY Mixed Up Beads by Mama Miss
- 3 Very Hungry Caterpillar Inspired Scavenger Hunts via Inspiration Laboratories
- Easy Very Hungry Caterpillar Fine Motor Skills Activity by Lalymom
- Very Hungry Caterpillar Puzzles via Playdough to Plato
- Two Flower Crafts – The Tiny Seed by 3 Dinosaurs
- Days of the Week by Rainy Day Mum
- 30 Ideas for an Eric Carle Themed Playdate by The Educators’ Spin On It
Eric Carle App Giveaway
Giveaway Entry Requirements:
- Make sure to fill in the rafflecopter giveaway entry below and complete the mandatory question entry.
- You can get up to ten entries by completing all tasks mentioned in the rafflecopter form below. Some earn you more entries than others.
- This giveaway is open for entry from Friday, May 15th to Friday, May 22st at 12:00am (PST)
- The winning entry will be drawn on Friday, May 22st. I will notify the winner via email.
- The winner will need to reply to me within 72 hours of my email. If there is no response, a new winner will be drawn.
- See our Official Giveaway Rules for complete guidelines. US Residents only.
Please note: The app code being given away can only be used on iOS devices.
Click the app button below to head to the app store (it will take you to the right app store for your device). iOS Users can also head below to the rafflecopter to enter to win one of three free app codes!