Although these strategies have helped my child, all children learn differently. It is up to us as parents, to figure out their preferred learning style and provide opportunities for practice in the home environment. These are just suggestions and may or may not help your child ace their vocabulary tests (but I do so hope they help!).
- Read the vocabulary words and their definitions.
- Make flash cards for the vocabulary words with the word on one side and the definition on the other.
- Draw a picture or quick sketch of something that comes to your mind for that word on the card too.
- Do a practice test. I give her a pretend or practice test in the same format that the teacher does.
- Grade the practice test. Figure out the vocabulary words the child does not know and focus on those words.
|Make home-made flash cards with the word and definition.|
- Interact with the un-known words
- Do a second practice test in the same format that the teacher does. Find the vocabulary words the child still does not know. Repeat the activities in #6.
What do you do at home to help your child find success with vocabulary words or spelling tests in the classroom?
After School Linky Party
After School Linky Party is hosted by
Thank you for sharing your Activities for School Ages Only