Grab some blueberries, green grapes and let’s create the water and land with an Earth Day Snack! This kid made recipe can be made into individual Earth for each child or you can make one large Earth!
To get ready for this Earth Day Snack begin by reading about Earth Day from some of our favorite characters. Through the eyes of a child when one of their favorite characters talks about something it can make an even bigger impact. We found Sid the Science Kid, Biscuit, Fancy Nancy, the Lorax along with many others all had stories about Earth Day.
Book List for Earth Day
(Affiliate links included to Amazon with each image for easy shopping.)
Here are some more of our favorite Earth day Books for Kids
Earth Day Snack Recipe with Fruit
Ingredients for Earth Day Snack
- 1 cup blueberries cut in half
- 1 cup green grapes cut in half
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 Tb sugar
- Package of flavored rice cakes (or one large cookie base)
Directions for Earth Day Snack
1. Cut the grapes and blueberries, if desired in half.
This is a great opportunity to talk about knife skills with your child. Please use caution during this activity. We used our butter knife to do this task. Both grapes and blueberries are easy to cut through without having to use too much force.
You’ll find most kids are surprised at what the inside of a blueberry looks like. Take a moment to discuss.
2. Then have your child mix the sugar, vanilla and cream cheese in a small bowl.
This is the perfect chance to measure out 1 Tablespoon of sugar and 1 Teaspoon of vanilla and discuss different types of measurement spoons.
A quick mix with a normal teaspoon from your kitchen drawer works perfect for mixing this cream cheese spread for your earth day snack.
3. Now it’s time to spread the sweetened cream cheese mixture onto the rice cake which is now going to become your Earth.
This take a little practice with fine motor skills for your child to do this task in the Earth Day Snack recipe. They are going to LOVE IT!
4. The last step is to tell them to create the earth by placing the blueberries for the water and the grapes for the land. You might want to pull out a globe like one of these to really talk about the Earth and what it looks like with the land areas and the water areas.
You could even talk a little bit about the 7 continents as you encourage your child to decided where to put the grapes for the lands and the blueberries for the water.
Have fun at your Earth Day Celebration!
Earth Day: Little Hands that Cook with Books Bonus Lesson
Additional Earth Day Activities for Kids
- 100 Ways to Celebrate Earth Day
- Party for the Planet Activity Ideas
- Eco Friendly Personalized Blocks
- Earth Day Chalk Fun
- Earth Day Books
- Exploring the Earth with Kids Gift Guide
- Top 10 Reason I Love Watching My Kids Learn about the Earth