MATH Learning Objective: Using standard units of measurement to determine weight.
Estimated Activity Time: 20 Minutes
Vocabulary: Weight, Pound, Scale
Directions for Measuring the Vehicles Weight:
1. Introduce the child to how a scale works. Practice measuring one or two cars.
2. Introduce the 1 pound challenge. Have them make a prediction of how many vehicles they think it will take to make 1 pound.
3. Encourage them to find out how many vehicles it will take to make 1 pound on the scale.
4. Write down the final number of cars used on a piece of paper. This introduces young children to recording data.
5. Repeat the experiment again. See if a different combination of cars will produce a different result. If you have a variety of cars, weigh those too and compare.
For More Transportation Theme Activities from the PLAYful Preschool Education Team: