It’s time to bring learning outside with this super FUN letter learning game. ABC Monster Mash game even sneaks in some creative exploration and movement too. This game is great for combining letter learning and gross motor movement: a perfect outdoor learning activity.
ABC Monster Mash Outside Letter Game
Materials for ABC Monster Mash
How to Make the ABC Monster Mash Game
1. Clear a space on your sidewalk or driveway.
2. Draw 5-10 monster bodies in the space. See if you can include rectangles, circles, triangles, and stars. This is the time to let your creativity shine!
3. Write a letter in the stomach or chest area of each monster.
How to Play the ABC Monster Mash Game
1. I call out a letter or letter sound
2. You get to MASH the MONSTER that has that letter on him.
Sounds simple? You bet. And fun!!! That is what learning is all about =)
Tips and Extensions for the game:
- Make sure your preschooler is looking at the letters right side up.
- Let them take a turn calling out the letter name or sound and you mash it.
- Encourage them to mash with one foot or two to work on gross motor skills.
- If they are ready, call out a word and let them mash the sounds in the word!
- This game is great for gross motor (jumping and mashing), fine motor (coloring and writing), phonics and phonemic awareness (letter sounds and print), it encourages movement for active learners and gets our kids learning outside!
Monster Literacy Connection:
Before or after you play the ABC Monster Mash Outside Letter Game, snuggle up and read one of these monster books. Talk about the story with your child and extend the learning to include vocabulary development and reading comprehension!