One of my favorite things to do is create homemade instruments with kids. It’s easier than you think and provides hours of fun and learning about music. Using everyday items from around your house your child will be playing music in no time!
Which musical instrument will you make first?
It’s the middle of the summer and it’s always a lot of fun to add a different element to your free playtime! Why not add musical opportunities for fun!
Turn up the music for a little afternoon dance party. Pull out some instruments or even make your own and learn to play one!
DIY Musical Instruments for Music with Kids
- Water Play with Music by Childs Play Music
- Outdoor Music Station by Scattered Yet Together
- Teaching Kids How Sound is Made by Kids Activity Blog
- Incorporating Music into your Daily Life by Mama Smiles
- Exploring Acoustic Sounds with Science from Science Sparks
- Outdoor Learning Station from My Nearest and Dearest
- DIY Rainstick from I Can Teach My Child
- DIY Xylophone from Relentlessly Fun Deceptively Educational
- Create a Simple Outdoor Music Play Area from Play Dr. Mom
These Activities with musical instruments were shared with Last Week’s After School Party!
While I was reading Relentlessly Fun Deceptively Educational post about the Xylophone I discovered she has created quite a few
DIY Instruments on her site! Check them out!
- DIY Craft Stick Harmonica
- DIY Stick Piano
- DIY Palm Pipes
- DIY Bongo Drums
- DIY Straw Flute
- DIY Guitar
- Music Measure of Math Printables
For two summers my daughter had the opportunity to attend a Music Summer Camp and our Kindermusik Teacher. It was fun to see them learn to play bells one year and the xylophone the other year.
What Music Goal could you set for your child this summer?
Music Activities for Kids
Here’s a few posts on The Educators’ Spin On I that we’ve shared with our readers of how to incorporate music at home.
- Making your Own Instruments from Recycled Containers
- Outdoor Music Station
- Action Songs for Kids
- Songs for Teaching Kindness
- Exploring the Northern Lights with Art and Music
- Growing music: Growing Instruments
- Parenting Tips for Making Music Everyday
- Music with Children Pinterest Board
And then this is one of those times when it’s super hot outside or raining and lightning that you can play a movement video game. The Just Dance Kids video games are super fun to do with just one child or quite a few!
So what are you waiting for, get up a DANCE, SIGN and MAKE MUSIC!
What Instrument will you make first with your child?