Need an open ended, multi age activity for afterschool? Now is the time for a Teddy Bear Chalk Challenge
I don’t know about your kids – but mine comes home from school tired of sitting in a desk and following specific directions.
Don’t let the open ended playtime of summer end – continue the fun after school with “chalk challenges.”
It seems like I am forever trying to think of fun ways to provide them with open ended activities that encourage them to use their creativity, be outside, and really – just be kids. I think we have hit upon a real winner.
This project is open-ended, can be connected to any story, and allows for all ages to have fun while participating (the teddy bears in the top picture were drawn by a 3 year old, two 6 year olds, a 7 year old, and a 9 year old.)
All you need is some space on a driveway or sidewalk and some chalk.
The challenge works like this…
1. You call a theme
like Teddy Bears
or sea life, or jungle, or things in a restaurant, or food… you get the idea.
2. Everyone draws a picture relating to that theme.
Yes, that is it. Pure genius! The kids worked for a good while, admire each other’s work, took some ideas, and expanded their own drawing. Lucky for my neighbors – the rain washes it away and we can make them some new “art” to look at another day!
If you have tried this once – expand on the idea with next week’s challenge…
- Encourage the kids to write a saying for their illustration
- See if they can draw a real-life and/ or pretend animal
- Add a bucket of water and let them dip the chalk in first. This will make the chalk brighter, but will also use the chalk up faster.
- Let them decide on the theme
- Have them work in pairs to create one picture
You may also enjoy these afterschool activities for kids…
- Teddy Bear Activities for Kids
- Sidewalk Chalk Activities for Afterschool
- Teddy Bear Tea Party
- Afterschool Activities from A to Z