Are you looking to celebrate Election Day with your toddler or preschooler?
These kid-friendly activities are the perfect introduction to what it means to be civically responsible and vote.
Simple Fun Election Day Activities for Toddlers
- Sing and march to patriotic songs. Make a patriotic headband or dancing rings if desired.
- Set up a ballot box. Place blank rectangle papers and pencils next to the box. Let the children write and vote.
- Paint a star. Talk about ways to be a good citizen. Glue the STAR citizen sheet to the dry star.
Affiliate links used to Amazon in this post.
Patriotic Headband for Election Day Activities
Focus Skill: Making AB Patterns
1.Cut strips and stars from the paper.
2.Let children glue a pattern on the sentence strip using shapes or colors as the pattern unit. Stripe – star – stripe – star.
3.Tape or staple the sentence strip around the child’s head to make a headband.
Wee Sing America is truly my go-to classroom and home resource for patriotic songs. My kids love dancing to the music and pretending to read the words in the book. It’s great for 4th of July and Memorial day too.
Ballot Box Writing Center for Election Day
Focus Skill: Writing
1. Cover the box with paper.
2. Attach the voting sign to the front.
3. Cut a hole in the top for children to put their votes in.
4. Set the rectangular paper and pencils next to the box.
5. Encourage children to write their votes down and place them in the box. Encourage kid writing!
STAR Citizen Craft and Responsibility Discussion
Focus Skill: Being a Good Citizen
1. Paint a star with red and blue.
2. Talk about what makes a good citizen.
3. When the star is dry, glue the STAR citizen printable to the middl
Books to Read with Toddlers on Election Day
We Are Citizens and Let’s Vote on It! are great non-fiction books that introduce readers to new vocabulary with strong supporting images. Election Day (Robin Hill School) is geared for preschool and kindergarten, but this book may help some toddlers relate better to what the voting process is.
For more Books about Voting for kids, check these out…