Explore this collection of children’s books about voting and resources for teaching kids about election day.
It’s a special time in your child’s life to see how our government works in the United States of America. We encourage all of our readers of The Educators’ Spin On It to take the time to GO VOTE!
I speak from personal experience watching my husband work so very hard to get his US citizenship over the course of many many years and lots of money involved in the process. Voting is a right and privilege that we hold very close to our hearts in our home.
I don’t think many American born citizens realize how difficult of a process this is. It’s been a joy to see many of our friends voting for the first time after receiving their US Citizenship.
It’s been exciting this year to also watch my son and his college friends have the opportunity to vote for the first time. It’s something my own family didn’t talk about much growing up but I feel lucky to be involved now.
We are part of Amazon Affiliates program and this post contains affiliate links.
Resources for Teaching Kids About Election Day
How are you teaching your child about the elections?
Your vote does matter!
We took the opportunity to talk to our 6 year old about voting and the Presidency and thought you might find the resources we used helpful. Here are some of the books we read to learn about Voting. Many of them talk about running for president.
It’s ok if your kids fuss for a moment while you step into the booth and vote. Every vote counts no matter how loud or soft!
We had fun creating our own election in our house using two of our favorite stuffed animals and campaigning for them. It’s important to talk about some simple issues that candidates stand for and how they want to make changes for a better future. Here’s how it went…
Ask your child what things are important to them. You might be impressed with their answers.
Books about Voting and Election Day for President
Resources for Election Day Activities for Kids
- Teaching your Child about the Presidential Election
- Printable Election Book from Smedey’s Smorgasbord
- Color Your Own Electorial Votes Map from Urban Bliss LIfe
- Election Day from Welcome To Room 26
- 11 Election Day Activities from Tip JunkiePumpkin Elections from Imagination Soup
- Picture Books about Elections and Presidents from No Time For Flashcards
- If I Were President Writing Prompt
- Presidents’ Day Activities from Living Montessori Now
- President’s Day Activities from Toddler Approved
- The Democracy Project at PBS Kids
- Create Your own Campaign Poster from PBS
- Classroom Election Activities from The First Grade Parade
- 2020 Elections – Teacher Resources from Teacher Vision
- Election Day Activities from Apples 4 the Teacher
- Election 2020 from Scholastic Magazine
- Election Day from Teacher Planet
- Race to the Ballot: The Our White House Presidential Campaign and Election Kit for Kids!
- Presidents Day Activities from The Educators’ Spin On It
I’m off to go vote now with my hubby and my daughters for the last day of early voting! Get out and VOTE!
Voting Activities for Elementary Students
For more Election Day Activities, check these out on our site…
It’s never too early to start talking about election day with your child! You could even celebrate the day with this special patriotic snack!