How to Make Shadow Puppets: Play and Learn with Lights
Materials Needed to Make Shadow Puppets
- Colored paper
- Hole punch
- Pencil or craft stick
How to Make Shadow Puppets
- Cut several numbers or shapes out of the paper. We used 3 inch numbers for math play and learning too.
- Allow the child to hole punch dots throughout the numbers. The use of a hole punch will help strengthen fine motor muscles in hands and create a really neat effect when the light is shown on the shadow puppet figures.
- Tape the numbers to a pencil or craft stick.
- In a dark room, shine the flash light on the numbers. Explore what happens when the shadow puppet moves closer and further from the light source.
- Discuss the attributes or properties of shadows.
A Shadow is a silhouette or an outline of a shape.
The shadow puppet blocks the light and creates a silhouette of the shape on the wall.
Shadows do not have a color or show details within the figure.
Shadows outdoors can demonstrate the time of day.
For MORE Hands-on Light Theme Play and Learn Activities:
Matching ABCs Lights Activity by Mom Inspired Life
abc Christmas Lights by Powerful Mothering
Making Books: Colored Lights by Growing Book by Book
5+ Christmas Lights Math Activities for Preschoolers by LIfe Over C’s
Christmas Lights Activities for Preschool: Pony Bead Counting Sticks by The Preschool Toolbox
Lights on the Tree Sensory Play by Fun-A-Day!
Scented Fingerprint Christmas Lights by Learning 2 Walk
Make a Light Bulb Model by Capri + 3
How to Make Shadow Puppets: Play and Learn with Lights by The Educators’ Spin On It
***The shadow puppets do not actually have that really cool sparkly effect in real life that my image shows. I use PicMonkey: crazy-awesome photo editing software online and applied circle bokah shapes to my image. You can try it with any picture for added sparkle! There is a free version of PicMonkey and a for-pay extras. It is my go-to photo editing source.***