Looking for ideas for the Book The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss? The Cat in the Hat is a favored book of children. The red and white hat shouts playful and captivates their attention for even the littlest listeners. This month we’re featuring activities focused on books by Dr. Seuss for our Virtual Book Club for Kids. Come join us!
Do you remember the Cat in the Hat from your childhood? With a popular TV series on PBS he’s quite popular with this generations kids too! I decided to take advantage of this fascination with this special cat to encourage my preschooler to really focus on her letters and letter sounds with this game. Here’s what you need to get started!
This post contains affiliate links
Cat in the Hat ABC Game
Combining a little bit of silliness and movement this game is sure to be a hit with your preschooler too. The letter game uses that iconic red and white hat that we love with Dr. Seuss and creates a fun way to focus on letters and the letter sounds. Are you ready?
- Red and White Hat (use paper bag for alternative)
- Colorful Scrapebook Paper
- Letter Stickers or written on 2×3 cards (2 sets, one uppercase and one lowercase)
- Letters Magnetic Wooden AlphabetFoam LettersBlocks Letters Cookie Cutter Letters
Have your child put the letters on each card to create the game.
PLAY TIME! This is a two player game, so grab a friend!
Have one player hold the hat to catch the letters. That player pulls a letter card and displays it for the other player. Then the second player selects from all of the letters in front of them.
We kept our letters on a tray to sort through quickly but a basket or box would work too.
Dr. Seuss Activities for Kids
No childhood bookshelf is complete without a Dr. Seuss book! Here are some Dr. Seuss activities created by the Virtual Book Club Team of Bloggers!
Cat in the Hat Activities
- Cat In The Hat Bracelet by Mama Miss
- Kite Rhyming with the Cat in the Hat by Inspiration Laboratories
- 4 Dr. Seuss Inspired Slimes by Lalymom
- Letter Fun with the Cat in the Hat by The Educators’ Spin On It
The Lorax Activities
One Fish, Two Fish Activities
- One Fish Two Fish Real and Pseudo Word Game by Rainy Day Mum
- Red Fish Blue Fish ABC Match by Growing Book by Book
- Number Pocket Game by Toddler Approved