For even more cooking with kids ideas, I invite you to stop by our Little Hands That Cook page.
Makes 12 standard size
1 cup all purpose flour
3/4 cup finely ground oatmeal
1/2 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1 egg beater
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup of oil
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your muffin tins.
1. Mix dry ingredients.
2. Pile on the wet ingredients. Mix those together first, then mix with the dry. “Technically” you should mix them in another bowl, but I dislike doing dishes. So I pile them on this way. Mix as little as possible, just until everything is moist.
3. Pour 3/4 full into baking cup liners and bake for 18-20 minutes. Muffins should hold their shape and spring back when poked at the top lightly with your finger. Some people like to use the toothpick method. Put it in and if it comes out clean, they are done. I like to just look at them and see if they are toasted brown on the top – they are most likely done.
NOW take your healthy pumpkin muffins (which are great by themselves) and add some extra flavors and pizzazz, making them a fun desert or sweet appetizer for a get-together.
Carve an up-side-down volcano out of the muffin middles. Mine ended up less than 1 inch deep. Make them smaller or bigger depending on the amount of caramel you want in the middle.
Easy caramel filling – unrwap 12 pre-made salted caramels. Melt them per the package directions and pour a little bit into each carved out muffins. We used a fancy sea salt caramel and it was amazing. The regular pack in the store would work too!
Cream Cheese Icing
1/2 cup of cream cheese softened
1-2 tablespoons of powdered sugar.
1. Add ingredients to the bowl and mix with a mixer. Spread on cooled and caramel filled muffins. This will be slightly sweetened and a little healthier than most store bought frosting.
strong plastic baggie
1. Add a small handful of pretzels to the plastic bag.
2. Crunch into small pieces with the bottom of a cup.
3. Sprinkle a little bit over each muffin.
Top with caramel if desired!
Snap a photograph and share on your favorite social media platform!
LoadingView on Instagram