Build a Base Ten Math Game with Pool Noodles
- 5 pool noodles of one color. We used orange.
- 1 pool noodle of another color. We used blue.
- Tape Measure
- 1 Large basket big enough to hold all the noodles.
When we make math manipulatives, we always try to have a plan for storage. My kids played this game for 30 minutes and then went on to use the base 10 blocks in other ways (more to come on those activities later) We return to this game every day for about 1 week and then put them away. I will bring the basket out after a week break. So far, this basket has been well worth the money and time spent making it. My kids have really grown in just a few days in their understanding of larger numbers.
How to make the base ten box basket.
- The adult cuts the 5 large pool noodles down to 20 inches each. This is slightly less than 1/2 the length of our pool noodle. We used a serrated knife and it worked ok. No matter what you use, use caution. I did this part when the kids were sleeping because I did not want them to see me cutting the pool noodles.
- Cut the 1 noodle of another color into 2 inch rounds. You only need 10 pieces, but you can make more if desired.
How to play the base ten math game:
- Let the kids take turns calling out the numbers
- Write the numbers down and have then represent the value using the pool noodle base ten manipulatives.
- After the children build the number, have them write it down on a piece of paper. Discuss the placement of the numbers and what the tens and ones place value represents.