Create a pool noodle sight word boat race this summer. Bring a little learning to your pool or bathtub with these super fun sight word boat races. Pick a sight word, make your boat and race your boat to the finish line… Oh, did I forget to tell you – no hands!
Pool Noodle Sight Word Boat Races
Learning Objective: Read sight words.
Materials Needed for Sight Word Boats:
- Pool Water Noodles cut into 1 inch strips *** This is an adult task.***
- Multi-Color Construction Paper
- Scissors, 5-Inch
- Permanent Markers
- Straws cut in half
- Packaging Tape
Directions to Make the Sight Word Boat Racing Game:
To Make the Mast / Flags:
1. Cut the mast out.
2. Write the sight word on the mast.
3. Place a long piece of tape down sticky side up, a little more than twice the length of the mast.
4. Set the mast down. Place the straw next to it.
5. Bring the tape over to cover both sides of the mast.
6. Press to seal the edges.
To make the boat:
1. Use the open end of the straw. Twist and push to make a hole in the top of the cut pool noodle.
2. Write the matching sight word on the boat.
How to play:
1. Choose your pool noodle sight word boat.
2. Hold it at the starting line. One player calls out “On your marks, get set, GO!”
3. All the players race their boats to the finish line without touching the actual boat with their hands.
* Make sure the tape is sealed tightly or the paper may get wet! You can substitute in craft foam for the masts as well. We just didn’t have any in the house!.
Pool Noodle Learning Activities for Kids
We have several Pool Noodle Learning Activities that you might also enjoy.
- Build a Word Tower with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Sight Word Boat Races (You’re Here)
- 15 Pool Noodle Activities for Kids
- Giant ABC Beads with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Boat Matching Game
- Pool Noodle ABC Basket
- Base Ten Basket with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Alphabet Order Obstacle Course
Click on the images below to see how to make and play these pool noodle learning activities!