Children of all ages will delight in this ultimate collection of Christmas books. Cinnamon and evergreen spices waif through the house and little ones are snuggled up next to the tree reading books of Christmas.
Disclosure: Affiliate links included to Amazon in this post.
Selecting the best Christmas book for your child.
I know they say, “Don’t judge a book by it’s cover,” but I challenge you to do just that. Think about the stories you want to share with your child. Do you want a tale from another land? Are you looking for an outdoor, natural Christmas tale? or Are you drawn to the fun whimsical drawings?
Try to choose a variety of artistic styles. I learn towards the natural feel, but my son loves the whimsical illustrations.
Even the youngest babies will enjoy snuggling on a loved one’s lap this holiday season. Select a sturdy board book they can gnaw and hold without worrying about damaging the pages. Toddlers will love the lift-the-flap books and interact stories as well.
We like to store our seasonal books with decorations. This, however, does not work with Christmas books as we have so many (3 large bags full). Instead, I have a designated space in one of our closets for our Christmas book bags. We like to bring them out the day after Thanksgiving. It is a wonderful treat as the children will sit and read these for hours.
Using Christmas Books
Admittedly, the holiday season is busy. Between class and work parties, visits to Santa and trips to the store, it is easy to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of Christmas. Making time to slow down and read out loud to my children really helps us make meaningful connections every day in December. Children need these connections with family. It will help them better cope with the stresses of the season.
- Set time aside for reading every day with your child.
- Make it special with reading extras like hot cocoa and a roaring fire.
- Wrap and give a book for every day of December. Use this as a countdown to Christmas.
- Donate holiday books to a local school or charity in need.
Christmas Books for Kids
- That’s Not Santa! (Hello Reader (Level 1))
- Merry Christmas, Mr. Mouse
- The Littlest Elf
- The Littlest Christmas Tree
- Tree of Cranes
- A Pirate’s Night Before Christmas
- ‘Twas Nochebuena
- Snowmen at Christmas
- How Santa Got His Job
- Olive, the Other Reindeer
- N Is for Navidad
- The Night Before Christmas hardcover: The Classic Edition, The New York Times bestseller
- Christmas Cookies: Bite-Size Holiday Lessons
- The Miracle of the First Poinsettia: A Mexican Christmas Story
- Gingerbread Mouse
- Grace at Christmas
- Pocket’s Christmas Wish
- A Magical Christmas
- Charlie and the Christmas Kitty (Charlie the Ranch Dog)
- The Twelve Days of Christmas
- Pablo’s Christmas
- A Night in Santa’s Great Big Bag
- Yoon and the Christmas Mitten
- The Nutcracker’s Night Before Christmas
- The Animals’ Santa
- Santa Claus and the Three Bears
- Goodnight Santa: The Perfect Bedtime Book (Goodnight Series)
- Five Busy Elves
- A Piñata in a Pine Tree: A Latino Twelve Days of Christmas
- A Very Merry Christmas
- Christmas Mice! (Green Light Readers Level 1)
- The Littlest Christmas Star
- Everett Anderson’s Christmas Coming
- The Christmas Quiet Book
- Just Right for Christmas
- Twas the Night Before Christmas: Edited by Santa Claus for the Benefit of Children of the 21st Century
- The Wild Christmas Reindeer
- How the Grinch Stole Christmas! (Classic Seuss)
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
Woodland / Natural Christmas Books
- Donkey’s Christmas Song
- The Christmas Wish
- The Reindeer Wish
- Christmas Day in the Morning
- The Message of the Birds
- The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
- The Carpenter’s Gift: A Christmas Tale about the Rockefeller Center Tree
- Christmas Farm
Christmas Books with Your Favorite Characters
- Merry Christmas, Mouse! (If You Give…)
- Llama Llama Jingle Bells
- The Biggest Christmas Tree Ever
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer) (Little Golden Book)
- Frosty the Snowman (Frosty the Snowman) (Little Golden Book)
- Merry Christmas Mom and Dad (A Golden Look-Look Book)
- Tractor Mac Saves Christmas
- An Otis Christma
- Little Blue Truck’s Christmas
- Clifford’s Christmas
- Biscuit’s Pet & Play Christmas
- Bear Stays Up for Christmas (The Bear Books)
- Click, Clack, Ho! Ho! Ho!
- Frozen Olaf’s Night Before Christmas Book & CD
- Disney Christmas Storybook Collection
- The Not Very Merry Pout-Pout Fish (A Pout-Pout Fish Adventure)
- Doc McStuffins A Very McStuffins Christmas
- The Very Snowy Christmas
- It’s Christmas, David
Religious Christmas Books
- The Christmas Story
- The Animals’ Christmas Eve (Little Golden Book)
- God Gave Us Christmas
- Room for a Little One: A Christmas Tale
- God Bless Our Christmas
- A Christmas Prayer
- The Parable Series: The Pine Tree Parable
- This Is the Stable
- Who Is Coming to Our House? (Board Book)
- Mortimer’s Christmas Manger
Christmas Board Books for Babies and Toddlers
- Is It Christmas Yet?
- The Very Hungry Caterpillar’s Christmas 123
- Dream Snow
- The Itsy Bitsy Snowman
- Grandma’s Christmas Wish
- The Christmas Baby (Classic Board Books)
- Lift-the-Flap Tab: Santa’s Workshop (Lift-the-Flap Tab Books)
- J Is for Jesus: The Sweetest Story Ever Told
- Splat the Cat: Christmas Countdown
- Bright Baby Touch & Feel Merry Christmas (Bright Baby Touch and Feel)
- Merry Christmas, Little One! (Padded Cloth Covers with Lift-the-Flaps)
- Where Is Baby’s Christmas Present?: A Lift-the-Flap Book (Karen Katz Lift-the-Flap Books)
- My First Christmas Board Book (My 1st Board Books)
- Pop-Up Peekaboo: Christmas!
- Baby Touch and Feel: Christmas (Baby Touch & Feel)
- Duck & Goose, It’s Time for Christmas! (Oversized Board Book)
- Christmas in the Manger
- Fisher-Price Little People: The Story of Christmas (Boardbooks – Board Book)
- The Nativity Story (Candle Bible for Kids)
- The Story of Christmas
- Olivia Helps with Christmas (Classic Board Books)
- Merry Christmas, Curious George
- Llama Llama Holiday Drama
- Splendiferous Christmas (Fancy Nancy)
Our Readers Favorite Christmas Books for Kids
Edited – Our online friends have chimed in that some of their favorites were missing! If we left out yours feel free to comment on the post below, tweet me or stop by our Facebook page to let us know what YOUR favorite Christmas books are!!!!
Debbie’s Top Christmas Book Picks
“I love Mr. Williby’s Christmas Tree, The Night Tree (by Eve Bunting) and.. the different versions of …..oh….then there is the touching story…which grabs my heartstrings every time I read it….Santa’s Book of Names.
- Mr. Willowby’s Christmas Tree
- Night Tree
- The Night Before Christmas hardcover: The Classic Edition
- The Night Before Christmas
- The Night Before Christmas
- Santa’s Book of Names
JC Niala, author of Beyond Motherhood Recommends:
A Kenyan Christmas: 2nd Edition (Akinyi and Friends) – it’s a Christmas book set in the Southern Hemisphere. “There’s no snow and has Christmas Mama, Baba and Toto.”
Of course, when you are talking about books for Christmas, you cannot forget my EBook STEAM: STEM Activities for Christmas.
This book is great for parents, teachers, and care-givers of young children 3-5 years old.
Each activity has step-by-step instruction and photos to show you how to complete it with your child.
As a K-12 Reading Master Teacher, I know there may be a favorite book of yours I have missed. Please feel free to leave the name and author of it in the comments below! I always love conencting with a good book.
Did you enjoy this list of 100 Christmas Books Every Child Should Read Before they Turn 10?
Please share this list with your friends!
PIN IT to your holiday, Christmas, books, or reading Pinterest boards!