One of the first words that children learn to recognize is color words. In the kindergarten classroom, kids would ask me how to spell a color word. “Look at the letters written on the crayons,” I would say. Soon, they were writing these color words in their own writing.
This activity connects my son’s favorite – INSECTS with color words.
Activity adaptations for older and younger children following the directions.
COLOR Word Writing Activity for Children: DIY Color Bug Book
Learning Objective: Write 5 color words.
Directions for Color Writing Activity:
2. Cut along the dotted lines.
3. Assemble in order from shortest to tallest
4. Staple the top 3 times.
5. Select a page to begin.
6. Look at the insect. Name it. Point to the insect’s name on the page.
7. Explain that each insect has a special color. Show the list of color words to the child. Read and point to each word.
8. Decide which color word would best fit the spaces before the insect’s name. Count the letters and spaces to see if they match.
9. Write the color word in the spaces.
10. Color the insect that color.
11. Repeat for all pages.
Color Word Writing Activity Variations
For Younger children
- Write the word for them. Say the letter sound as you write it.
- Skip step 4 and do NOT staple. Complete only one page every day for the week. Staple together when complete.
- Set the printed color word right next to the spaces so the child can copy the word.
For Older children
- Encourage them to write the words on their own.
- Provide them with a blank book and let them create their own color word book.
COLOR Activities from the Early Childhood Education Team
Rhyming Activity: Crayon Color Chant by Growing Book by Book
Roll a Color Alphabet Game by Mom Inspired Life
“I See a Rainbow” Book-Making by Fun-A-Day
Color Insect DIY Book for Writing Practice by The Educators’ Spin On It
Mouse Paint: Learning About Colors in Preschool by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
Free Color Sorting Mats with Spinners by Life Over C’s
Colors Snap Cube Pattern Matching by Learning 2 Walk
What Color Am I? Kindergarten Guessing Game by Capri + 3
Shades and Tints by Rainy Day Mum
Color Surprise Game by Still Playing School
Fine Motor Color Sorting Activity by Munchkins and Moms
If you liked this activity, you may also enjoy these…