It is the perfect time of the year for Christmas Tree crafts for kids. My kids especially enjoy this open ended play activity with play dough! It is a great way to activate their sense of sight, smell, and touch. This craft is easy to set up and encourages children to use their creativity and imagination.
Activity Playdough Christmas Tree Craft for Kids
Lesson Objectives: The children will create a triangle tree using the provided materials.
- Natural materials: twigs, pine needles, rosemary, cinnamon sticks
- Small containers to hold the objects
Directions for Play-dough Christmas Tree Crafts for Kids
- Set out green play-dough on a table or tray.
- Gather materials from your art center and natural environment. The children can help with this stage as well. Encourage them to think about materials that would best represent Christmas. Encourage them to look for objects with different colors, shapes, and textures. This is a good way to incorporate movement and outdoor play into the day as well.
- Arrange the materials in an inviting way. Sort like items into baskets, bowls, or cups.
- Allow the children to create and decorate triangle playdough trees.
- Demonstrate how to destroy and sort the materials when the Christmas tree craft is complete
Christmas Tree Craft for Kids Activity Extensions
Provide children with a digital camera. Encourage them to take a picture of their creation before destroying it and sorting the materials back into place. You may choose to gather their images into a college to print and hang in the classroom.
This activity makes a great art center for preschool and daycare centers. Make sure the playdough is sealed after use to help it last longer. A printable art station directions mini-poster is included in this Christmas Tree Activity Pack.
Explore evergreen trees
7 Christmas tree learning games and activities with easy to follow lessons and a printable worksheet for each. Great for parents, daycare providers, preschool and kindergarten teachers.