Activity: Teaching Tally Charts with Holiday Books
Directions for Teaching Tally Charts with Holiday Books
- Select a book.
- Write the title of the book on the top of the tally chart.
- Then, have the child look through the book for any Christmas trees.
- If there is a tree, demonstrate how to make a tally line straight up and down.
- Turn the pages of the book until they find another tree.
- Let them make a tally mark.
- Repeat the search and tally through the entire book. If there is 5 or more trees in the book, teach them how to make a diagonal tally mark and start again. This article on Math is Fun demonstrates how to make tally marks.
- Then select another book.
- Write the title of the book on the bottom of the tally chart.
- Search and tally the Christmas trees found in that holiday book.
- Compare the two charts. Discuss the similarities and differences in the amount of Christmas trees found in each book.
Teaching Tally Charts with Holiday Books Activity Extensions: