Quick and Easy Option for Busy Parents:
Tips for Cooking With Kids:
- Always make sure they tie back long hair and wash their hands with soap and water before entering the kitchen.
- If they can read, let them. If not, I like to point to the words in the recipe as I read it out loud once through even before beginning. This is how kids read for a variety of purposes. Cooking and reading recipes is a great teaching strategy for struggling and challenging advanced readers.
- Age permitting, let them measure, add, and mix the ingredients on their own. My 4 year old does all these steps with my support, my 7 year old makes the batter on her own. I just hand her the recipe. (just know it may turn out a little different every time.) As a parent, I still do the hot stovetop, but know that soon, my oldest will be ready for that as well.
- No matter how they turn out – enjoy them! My mom taught me that. She would always smile and try anything and everything I made as a kid. Life’s too short too worry about over salted pancakes!
- Here is a little video to show you how my 4 year old helps in the kitchen! (I know it shows muffins, but the skills are similar for pancakes too!)