Who knew so much learning could happen with just ONE pool noodle? That’s right, we made this interactive pool noodle alphabet basket using just one orange pool noodle. (you could of course, use another color as well). The perfect start to many pool noodle games for kids.
There has been so much letter naming and sounds going on. Of course, my littles decided to play alphabet basketball right away. There are endless learning possibilities with this letter basket. Make one for your kids and see how they use it!
Disclosure: Affiliate links included in this article.
Make a Pool Noodle Alphabet Basket for Learning Letters
Learning Objective: Identify the name and sound of letters.
- 1 Pool Noodles
- Permanent Markers
- Basket for storage
How to make ABC Pool Noodles.
I let the kids make their own learning materials when possible, this activity is mostly for adults to make. I prepared my alphabet noodles the night before. That way the marker had a chance to dry before the kids played with it. It will smear and may get on clothes and furniture. We did not have any issues when the marker was dry.
1. The adult cuts the Pool Noodles into 26 pieces.
2. Write one letter with Permanent Markers on each noodle. We are working on lower case. You could also use all uppercase.
Learning Ideas for Alphabet Pool Noodles
1. Grab a letter & say it’s name. Throw it into the Basket as a modified basketball game.
2. Sort the letters. Find the letters that use sticks and those that have curves.
3. Find the letters that make up your name.
4. Play I spy using sounds. Example: I spy the letter that makes the sound [a].
POOL NOODLE LEARNING ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
We have several Pool Noodle Learning Activities that you might also enjoy.
- Build a Word Tower with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Sight Word Boat Races
- 15 Pool Noodle Activities for Kids
- Giant ABC Beads with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Boat Matching Game
- Pool Noodle ABC Basket (You’re here)
- Base Ten Basket with Pool Noodles
- Pool Noodle Alphabet Order Obstacle Course
Click on the images below to see how to make and play these pool noodle learning activities!
Tricia Luker says
How did you cut the pool noodles?
Kim Vij says
Here’s a video on how to cut and make the pool noodles for learning activities with Amanda https://www.facebook.com/EducatorsSpinOnIt/videos/1123885214319851/?hc_ref=ARQZdNmc05Dle7HPA7lgZFPmFT8APrUMd8C7SDdx_vt52nydmYDwxxtd3Oca5r_skZE
I’ve always used a sharp knife to cut them.