gathered every Memorial Day weekend for a classic camp-out. My extended family continues to host this family camping event in Minnesota to this day. My Dad, his six brothers, and all of their families gather for s’mores, football games, and more. My uncle Charlie usually brings a load of hula-hoops and leads a humongous hula hooping contest in which most of the participants loose very quickly! There is also a giant pot luck BBQ complete with classic potato salad and flag cake to complete the festivities.
remembering our countries heroes.
So what are some good ways to celebrate Memorial Day with Children?
Top 10 Ways to Celebrate Memorial Day with Kids
1. Talk to your children about the importance of the day.
2. Dress in patriotic colors
3. Read a book about the U.S.A.
4. Make a flag themed craft.
5. Create a care package for a soldier.
6. Have a picnic with your loved ones.
7. Consider donating to an organization that serves veterans.
8. Participate in a National Moment of Remembrance at 3:00 P.M. local time
9. Find and attend local events such as parades, presentations, or services
10. Teach your kids a patriotic song such as “You’re A Grand Old Flag” by George M. Cohan or “This Land Is Your Land” by Woody Guthrie