DIY ECO Craft Lid Penguins for Preschool Learning
When I saw this penguin counter post at First Grader at Last, I just knew it would be perfect concept for our playful preschool penguin unit. She has a great list of how you could use them in a first grade classroom or with your grade schooler at home. Love2Learn2Day also made very similar penguins for math game pieces and Books2BridgeMiles daughter made 100 penguin counters using rocks. My mind got spinning right away.
- How could these be used with children ages 3-5?
- How could I make these with the supplies I had?
- Could I make them with recycled materials?
And the Lid Penguin Counters were born. They are as easy to make as 1. 2. 3.
Activity: Penguin Math Counters
- Paint the tops and sides of each lid black
- When the black is dry, add an oval for the stomach and 2 circles for the eyes with white (great shape review)
- Lastly, add an orange beak, feet, and black pupils for the eyes.
Ideas on How to Use the Counters to Teach Preschool Concepts:
- Write the numbers 0-5 on pieces of paper. Have you child choose a number, read that number, and then gather the correct number of counters. (Number Recognition and Number Sense
- Have your child grab a handful of counters, line them up and count how many there are. (Counting and Number Sense)
- Play, “How Many More?” Set 3 counters on the floor and ask your child, “How many more penguins would we need to make 5 all together?” (Beginning Addition)
- Sort the lids by size, use a variety of vocabulary words such as; tiny, small, little, giant, big, large to describe the groupings. (Math vocabulary and Sorting by a Variety of Attributes)
- Make a penguin pattern based on the sizing. Use a variety of patterns such as ABABAB, AABAAB. Encourage your child to predict what would come next. (Patterning)
- Free Lesson Planner for Week 1 and Parenting Goals for 2014
- Penguin Learning Activities
- Week 2 Free Penguin Unit Lesson Planner
- Penguin Learning Activities: Math Counters
- Week 3 Free Penguin Unit Lesson Planner (coming soon)
- The Ultimate Penguin Guide to Penguin Crafts and Learning Activities
- Week 4 Free Penguin Unit Lesson Planner (coming soon)