I AM!!! Because they are soooo awesome for learning and playing with. Here is a list of 10 of our favorite learning activities to do at home with lids. For all of these preschool learning activities, you will need a set of washed lids from different containers. I painted some of mine red, so that there were only three color choices.
1. Re-Using. Reduce, reuse, and recycle are the 3 R’s for making less waste and taking care of the environment. Take a minute to talk with your child about how awesome this activity is because it is re-using something that would normally go to the recycle bin.
2. Counting. Lids are great for counting. See how many lids there are all together.
3. Sorting by size. Lids come in several different sizes: small, medium and large. See if your child can sort them into 3 groups by size.
9. Patterning. AB patterns are the first and easiest pattern to make and learn. AB represents the pattern unit that is repeated over and over again. A is one color or obejct and B is the other. After your child has mastered the AB pattern, challenge them to create other patterns using colors and sizes in the pattern unit. The pattern pictured is green circle, red circle, little red circle, or ABC.
10. Make up a game! That’s right. Have your child use lids to make up their own learning game. Not only will they have ownership over their learning, but they will also be able to use their creativity and problem solving skills!
Homeschooling Your Preschooler?
These lid activities are G-R-E-A-T hands-on, play based learning activities for our young learners. Not only that, but they are FREE. Yes, preschooling at home doesn’t need to cost a lot of money. If you find that you are looking for help in saving time, getting organized, and staying on task, I would love to have you join in our Virtual Homeschool Group.
Connect with like-minded families, find teacher support and extra resources on your preschool journey. For less than $1 a week, you will receive bonus learning activities, teacher support, weekly discussion questions, troubleshooting & advice, weekly teaching videos to watch with your child, and a place to share your child’s successes!
This Membership is for the 2014 – 2015 School Year (September – May)