Easy Hot Chocolate Cocoa Cookies Recipe! Plus they are a fun holiday cookie recipe to go along with your favorite holiday movie… Polar Express.
These delicious cookies are perfect to bake for a holiday cookie exchange or a special treat for Santa on Christmas eve.
Here’s how to make this recipe with your child this holiday season.
Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
There’s something that happens this time of year with the kids, perhaps it’s the change in weather to cooler nights but we become a bit obsessed with having hot chocolate.
Then we were motivated to create a cookie inspired by our hot chocolate obsession to add to our holiday cookie recipes. These hot chocolate cookies are so yummy and the best part is that they are easy to make with the kids.
You are going to love how easy this recipe is to make and how the ingredients are pretty simple to this recipe.
Want even more marshmallow recipes? Try making Marshmallow Ice Cream to go with your cookies!
How to make Hot Chocolate Cookies
Grab a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with your hand mixer.
Add in eggs and vanilla. Mix in cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt. Then you will slowly add in flour and mix well.
Here’s the fun part for your little one as you have them help to fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
After you’ve mixed the dough, it’s time to cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes. We took advantage of this chill time to watch part of the Polar Express, a favorite Christmas movie at our house.
As the cookie dough is chilling, preheat oven to 350 degrees and the line cookie sheet with parchment paper. A good task for your little chef helpers to do.
While you’re waiting for your cookie dough to chill you could enjoy some Hot Cocoa with Cacao Powder.
Here’s where the fun part starts with your child. Once the dough is chilled, roll dough into 1” balls and place 2” apart on the baking sheet.
Have your child gently flatten the dough out with your palm before baking.
Then use your finger, press the center of the dough down.
Bake the cookies for 9 minutes.
While the cookies bake, you will cut your large marshmallows in half.
ADULT TASK: Remove hot chocolate cookies from oven.
Now it’s time to place cut marshmallow (cut side down) in the center of the cookie and drizzle with chocolate syrup. Safety Reminder: the cookie sheet will be hot if your helpers are assisting with this step.
Place in the oven for another 2 minutes.
Remove your cookies from oven (Adult Task)
To finish the hot chocolate cookies, sprinkle with chocolate shavings for even more chocolate fun. Then let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
We enjoyed these delicious holiday cookies while we finished watching the rest of Polar Express movie with our family.
Here’s the family recipe for our delicious hot chocolate cookies for Christmas! They are perfect for sharing for holiday cookies exchange too!
Hot Chocolate Cookies
- 2 Cups unbleached flour
- 1 Cup white sugar
- ½ Cup packed brown sugar
- ¾ Cup Cocoa Powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Cup unsalted butter (softened)
- 2 Eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 Cup Mini Chocolate Chips
- ½ Cup Mini Marshmallows
- 12 Large Marshmallows (cut in half)
- Chocolate Shavings (optional)
- Chocolate syrup (optional)
Time needed: 50 minutes.
Hot Chocolate Cookie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar, and brown sugar with a hand mixer.
- Add in eggs and vanilla.
- Mix in cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Slowly add in flour and mix well.
- Fold in chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill for 30 minutes.
- Once the dough is chilled, roll dough into 1” balls and place 2” apart on the baking sheet.
- Gently flatten dough out with your palm before baking.
- Using your finger, press the center of the dough down.
- Bake for 9 minutes.
- While the cookies bake, cut your large marshmallows in half.
- Remove from oven and place cut marshmallow (cut side down) in the center of the cookie and drizzle with chocolate syrup.
- Place in the oven for another 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with chocolate shavings.
- Let cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
Hope you enjoy these gooey hot chocolate cookies with big gooey marshmallows and melted chocolate this holiday season with your friends and family.
Want to do more baking with your child?
Be sure to grab a copy of The Ultimate Kids’ Baking Book by Tiffany Dahle!