Learn the letters of the alphabet and letter sounds with your favorite Pigeon. Story time just got funnier with the addition of Mo Willems Pigeon Books at our house recently.
Has your child discovered the character Pigeon by Mo Willems yet?
This post contains affiliate links to Amazon Books.
We’re excited to welcome you to the Virtual Book Club for Kids featuring Mo Willems!
Each Virtual Book Club for Kids Co-Host will be sharing their own Mo Willems inspired post today! That’s 16+ Activities to go with his books!
Water Color with Pigeon and the Bus
To start our Mo Willems fun we first drew the bus inspired by Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems. Then we printed out coloring pages provided for free on the Mo’s website. Then it was time to paint!
Using crayons or markers would work too but sometimes it’s that little extra element that makes a project seem special to a child. Once it was dry it make the perfect backdrop for our ABC Game!
Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems: Letter Activity
Finding match is a fun way to being to learn letters and letter sounds with a child. Use some images to discover which letter starts with that letter. We gather a few sets of letters as most usually have just one of each letters.
You could also very easily print out on paper or on your computer different types and colors of letters to add variety to the sorting game for kids.
Ask your child What Letter can get on this Bus?
Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems: Create Your Own Name Bus
We used some special letters to practice forming the letters in my daughter’s name, spouse, siblings. Another way we will use it soon it to from Word Families. Words that rhyme like -at -an -op -it will be a fun place to start to learn to read and rhyme. You could make word cards to for your child to copy onto the bus.
Ask your child What letters belong in your name?
Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems: Create Your Own Family Bus
Who’s in your family? Create a special bus for pigeon to drive with your family inside of it! My 3 year old had fun using water colors to paint our hand-drawn bus and including our family members inside too!
Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems: Mo Willems Printables
We printed out a Pigeon from one of Mo Willem’s Website Pigeon Presents! There are a bunch of resources on the Grown Up’s Section. While you’re there check out the Bus Facts Page. We hand-drew the bus to use for this project.
Here’s a few more fun ways to learn to draw with Mo Willems.
Here’s a quick video of “Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus”
Check out this Knuffle Bunny Costume Idea for Kids
Pigeon and Bus Activities inspired by Mo Willems: Printables, Activities and Crafts!
- Handprint Pigeon
- Paint Chip School Bus
- Pigeon on a Bus Snack
- Bus Craft
- Letter B for Bus
- Pigeon Activity Guide from Mo Willems
- Pigeon Needs a Bath Activity Ideas and Video
- 50+ Mo Willems Activities
- Check out Mo’s Interview on the Today Show and why he feels our kids need to be doodling!
How to Join the Virtual Book Club for Kids
We’d love to see the Mo Willems inspired activities that you do with your child or class! Come share your activity Idea and photos on our VBC Facebook Page or in the Comment Section.
Mo Willems Activities from the Virtual Book Club for Kids Co-Hosts
Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Activities
- Cardboard Box Bus Craft & Number Game for Kids by Toddler Approved
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus Activity by Coffee Cups and Crayons
- Don’t Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus: Puppets, Crafts and Storytelling by Playing with Words 365
- Letter B is for Bus Craft by Royal Baloo
- Pigeon Rhyming Race Activity by Growing Book by Book
- Pigeon Handprint by Mama Miss
Knuffle Bunny Activities
- Mo Willems Inspired DIY Bunny Costume Felt Headband by The Educators’ Spin On It
- Knuffle Bunny Activity Mats by ready-set-read
The Duckling Gets a Cookie Activities
- Counting Chocolate Chips – Duckling Get a Cookie by 3 Dinosaurs
- Nut Free Alphabet Cookies by Rainy Day Mum
- Sticky Cookie Craft by The Pleasantest Thing
- The Duckling Gets a Cookie Math Games by Inspiration Laboratories
- The Ducking Gets a Cookie Printable Clothespin Activity by Lalymom
September Featured Author: Mo Willems
You’ll find even more ideas shared for Books and Activities by following along!
Leave a comment below for us if you’re joining the Virtual Book Club for Kids!
You may also enjoy these activities…