Kids love to make gifts for others. This DIY Paper Plate Christmas Wreath is a budget friendly gift for young children to help make and give this holiday season.
Read on to find out how to incorporate a little math learning too! Affiliate links are used in this article.
- Metallic Gold Spray Paint
- Permanent Marker
- Uncooked Elbow Noodles
- Paper Plates
- School Glue
- 1-Hole Punch
- Red Chinelle Stems /Pipe Cleaners or thin red ribbon
- Thick Red Ribbon
- Glue Gun with Glue Sticks
Directions to make DIY Paper Plate Christmas Wreath
1. ADULTS: Cut the center of the paper plate out.
2. Use the permanent marker and write the child’s name on the back of the plate.
3. Let the child place drop of glue on the paper plate. Put a noodle on top of each glue drop.
Squeezing the glue and picking up the noodles with the thumb and pointer finger makes this Paper Plate Christmas Wreath a great fine-motor skills craft.
MATH SPIN ON IT:
Roll and Cover Christmas Tree Wreath: For older children, let them roll 1 die and call out the number Place the same amount of glue dots as the number rolled. Then cover each glue dot with a noodle. Repeat rolling until the wreath has been filled. Challenge: How many noodles are on the wreath all together?
For an EXTRA math challenge: Hand children two dice. Let them roll both and place either the sum or the difference on their wreath. a 2 and a 4 would mean children could place either 2 glue dots (4-2=2) or 6 glue dots on their wreath (4+2=6)
4. Allow the wreath to dry.
5. ADULT ONLY STEP: Set the dried noodle wreath on newspapers outside, away from children. Follow all safety instructions on your paint container. Spray with gold paint. Make sure to paint from several angles until all the noodles and paper plate is covered. Allow to dry
6. Make a hole near the edge using the hold punch. Thread the red Pipe Cleaner through the hole and twist.
7. Make a bow with the large ribbon. Glue to the top or bottom of the paper plate wreath.
OPTIONAL: Have the children wrap their paper plate wreath with tissue paper to give as a gift.
More Gifts for Kids to Make and Give from the Early Childhood Education Team
Cinnamon Sugar-Kid Made Gift by Capri + 3
Gift Tag Memory Game by Munchkins and Moms
DIY Crayon Lip Balm by Raising Lifelong Learners
Snowman and Santa Handmade Ornament Crafts for Kids! by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
Fill the Ball: Kid-Made Christmas Ornaments by Mom Inspired Life
Gingerbread Snowflakes: Kid-Made gift for friends by Rainy Day Mum
Easy Kid Craft Ideas: DIY Picture Frame by Learning 2 Walk
You may also enjoy these Christmas Activities for your child…