How Does Your Child’s Kindergarten Supply List Compare?
My Son’s Kindergarten Supply List
I just printed out our supply list for this school year. Thankfully, the stores have decided that it’s back-the-school sales this week, so we are going to be picking up some supplies. Unfortunately, it seems that most of the sales are for the brands not called for in our list.
Yes, the brands were specified on the lists we received.
As a teacher, my supply lists never specified brands, but I can understand why they do. Some brands of crayons, for example do not color as brightly or last as long as others. Rather than buy more than you need, choosing a brand that you know works better ends up saving time and money in the long run.
I did shake my head a bit at the “presharpened” pencils. Sure, they save you a couple minutes of time, but is it really necessary????
Amazon affiliate links to products. Surprisingly, some of our supplies are less expensive (the sharpened pencils) when ordering online and having them shipped to my door (I have prime).
- 1 pack Crayola Ultraclean Fineline Classic Markers (10 Count)
- 1 pack Crayola Ultraclean Broadline Classic Washable Markers (10 Count)
- Crayola Crayons 24 Count – 2 Packs
- Elmer’s All-Purpose Glue Sticks, .77 oz, 12 Pack (E517) (not large)
- 1 pair of Fiskars 94917097 No. 5 Blunt Tip Scissors
- 24 Dixon Ticonderoga Pre-Sharpened with Erasers Pencils, #2, Yellow, Box of 30 (13830)
- 1 Backpack(NO ROLLING BACKPACKS, please)
- One Box of Facial Tissues
- $10 cash donation for miscellaneous classroom supplies
- Girls bring:
- 1 container Clorox Disinfecting Wipes
- Ziploc Double Zipper Gallon Storage Bags – 52 count(freezer type preferred)
- 1 bottle Elmer’s Washable No-Run School Glue, 4 oz, 1 Bottle (E304).
- 1 box Bandages
- Boys bring:
- 1 bottle Hand Sanitizer
- 1 Paper Towel Roll
- 1 box Ziploc Double Zipper Storage Bag, Quart, 48 Count (freezer type preferred)
- 1 container Baby Wipes
What is missing from the school supply list?
There are some things that we use every single day that are not included on the back to school supply list provided by our school.
- Tennis shoes
- School uniforms
- Lunch Boxes
- Lunch Box Containers
- Cold Packs for lunch boxes
- Water bottles
- Small gift for the teacher
Yes – you read that right. Do NOT wait until teacher appreciation week in the spring to give your child’s teacher a gift. A gift card and a heartfelt note does wonders for developing strong relationships.
Sample Back to School Messages for Your Child’s Teacher:
Pack of kid-friendly stickers – I saw these in the store and thought you may find a good use for them!
$20.00 Gift Card to Target: I am so excited that ___ is in your classroom this year. I’m sure there are some extra things that you may need for your classroom and hope that this little bit helps.
$20.00 Gift Card to a local cafe / restaurant- Back-to-school is such a busy time of year.Dinner’s on us tonight!
Small basket of extra school supplies: Looking forward to a fantastic school year with you.
Where to find your child’s school supply list?
- Most schools have published their grade level lists on their school website and/ or Facebook pages.
- Pick up a paper copy at the front desk.
- Call the secretary and ask for the list.