Affiliate Links to Products
She loves kiwi, gingersnaps, and cream cheese, so this has become one of her afternoon make-it-myself go-to snacks.
Kiwi is a fruit with a thin fuzzy brown skin and bright green insides. The tiny black seeds are edible. Most often, we find them in the store hard and set them on the counter to ripen. They become soft to the touch when they are ripe.
Often, I will cut them in half and serve them as a snack with a spoon (using the outer skin as a natural bowl) Kiwifruit are also nice sliced on top of fruit pizza and can be added to a fruit salad too. I personally am not a big fan of kiwi. (they taste to tinny to me and I’m not fond of the aftertaste) But, just because I don’t like something, doesn’t mean my kids wont. We try to eat the rainbow and diversify our fruits and vegetables. Kiwi adds in the much needed GREEN!
Warning: This recipe is PACKED with flavor. So much, that my picky preschooler won’t even touch it. We have made this recipe using strawberries in place of the kiwi on top. Another alternative is to use original graham crackers in place of the gingersnaps.
Directions to make Kiwi Gingersap Mini Tarts
1. Measure out 1/8th cup of cream cheese. Set in a small microwave safe bowl and bring to room temperature. You can let it sit on the counter for 15 minutes or try softening it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds.
2. Use a small spatula or spoon. Mix 1 teaspoon of honey with the cream cheese.
3. Count out 8 gingersnap cookies. Spread a small amount of cream cheese mixture onto each cookie. Repeat for all 8.
4. Have an adult peel the kiwi fruit. Using a cutting board, cut the kiwi into thin slices.
5. Top each cookie and cream cheese tart with 2-3 thin slices of kiwifruit. My daughter says you can eat any left over kiwi that doesn’t fit on the cookies.
6. Arrange on a pretty plate and serve with a cold glass of milk.
2 Kiwi Gingersap Mini Tarts = 1 serving.
Other K is for Kiwi Recipes:
Kiwi Gingersnap Mini Tarts from The Educators’ Spin On It
Frozen Fruit Kabobs from Sugar Aunts
Kids Fruit Smoothie from Mum in the Madhouse
Fruit Salsa from Still Playing School
Did you miss letter J for Jam?
We made Strawberry Jam Surprise Muffins!