These Orange Strawberry Jam Surprise Muffins are the perfect treat to make with and for kids. The sugar zest on top creates a crunchy finish, a delicious contrast to the soft jam surprise middle.
Muffins are my kids’ go-to recipe to make and eat. They are so versatile and make great breakfast and snack options. My 8 year old can now make the batter on her own. Even the 2 year old can’t resist pouring and mixing. He insists that no one else can fill the baking cups.
Here’s our family tradition of making jam recipe
Orange Strawberry Jam Surprise Muffins
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar + 1 tablespoon
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup of orange juice
- 1/3 cup of coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest
- 1 egg beaten
- 1/2 cup of strawberry jam (we like home-made the best!)
Don’t forget paper liners for easy clean up. If You Care is my go-to brand right now. They don’t stick to the muffin or the pan! Bonus is that they are compostable and Chlorine-Free!
Directions to make Orange Strawberry Jam Surprise Muffins
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line 12 standard size muffin cups with paper liners.
- Combine all of the ingredients except 1 tablespoon of sugar, 1/2 tablespoon or orange zest, and jam into a large bowl.
- Fill muffin cups 1/2 full.
- Make an indentation in the middle of each batter.
- Scoop a spoonful of jam into each.
- Top with the remaining batter spread out evenly over all the muffins.
- Mix the sugar and remaining orange zest together.
- Sprinkle evenly over the muffins.
- Gently pat the sugar mixture. (my kids love doing this part and licking their fingers at the end.)
- Bake at 400 degrees F for 20-25 minutes. The top will become slightly brown. A toothpick inserted into the center will come out dry.
Cool for 1 minute before removing from the pan.
Allow muffins to cool even more before serving to children – the jam gets HOT!
Here are some recipe ideas for kids to make.
Craving more oranges?
We love to have kids cooking in the kitchen. Most days, we will make our muffins, then snuggle up to read books on the couch together while they bake. Jamberry is a classic rhyming book that takes kids on a berry jam making adventure.
MORE J IS FOR JAM RECIPES FROM THE COOKING WITH KIDS BLOG TEAM
- Strawberry Jam and Jam Splogger Cookies – Rainy Day Mum
- Super Simple Microwave Strawberry Jam – Still Playing School
- Swedish Thumbprint Cookie Recipe
- Jam and Cream Cheese Bites – Frogs Snails and Puppy Dog Tails
- Jam and Greek Yogurt Fruit Dip – OT Tool Box
- Jam Tarts – Mum in the Madhouse
If you liked this muffin recipe, you may also like these recipes for kids…