Pete the Cat is a bright and colorful book series that children are drawn to. We’re sharing a fun Pete the Cat movement activity to go along with one of our favorites written by Eric Litwin called Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons.
Once you get moving you can enjoy 10 more Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Button Activities your kids will LOVE!
Pete the Cat Activities for Kids
Take a moment to read Eric Litwin’s Pete the Cat Books, the first 4 books in the series. The creative way the play with words and join with music can be so much fun with kids.
Here are a few videos we featured on our site of his books and songs. Click here to watch
Disclosure: Amazon affiliate links included
Pete the Cat Books by Eric Litwin
- Pete the Cat: I Love My White Socks
- Pete the Cat: His Four Groovy Buttons
- Pete the Cat Rock in My School Shoes
Now we’re sharing a playful way to interact with the story Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Buttons. You can also watch this animated story book of this adorable book below.
After we read the book, we created a Pete the Cat Headband. Click here for a tutorial.
Then we even took a moment to watch the Pete the Cat and his Four Groovy Buttons Video I wanted to be sure we had the song in the story down just right.
My buttons, my buttons, my ____ groovy buttons. Trust me yours will be singing along too.
Then we added colors and numbers to the mix to create a playful movement game outdoors.
Pete the Cat Movement Activities for Kids
Materials for Pete the Cat Game
- construction paper
Directions for Pete the Cat Activity
1. Write down with your child action words that a cat can do.
2. Create large paper buttons for the game.
3. Encourage your child to draw with chalk buttons on the sidewalk outdoors make them different colors and different sizes and different amounts of each.
4. Have your child sort the buttons by calling out ways to find them, color, size, number.
5. The way to sort is by jumping onto the button being called.
6. Then use the Pete the Cat Action buttons and encourage your child to act out the movement activities.
Action Words inspired by Pete the Cat
- wiggle (tail)
- many many more!
Watch the video below for ideas!
You could follow up this activity with Pete the Cat and His Four Groovy Buttons Printables with your child.
Pete the Cat Dancing Video
This outdoor activity for Pete the Cat became my daughter’s favorite and was so easy to host when we had our friends over for a playdate too.
This activity would be fun to follow up with button cookies and several of the activities listed below by our Virtual Book Club for Kids Co-hosts. So many fun ideas inspired by Pete the Cat.
Pete the Cat Activities by the Virtual Book Club for Kids Co-Hosts
Check out all of these activities create for you to go with Pete the Cat Books!
- Mama Miss: Button Counting, Graphing, and Sorting
- Toddler Approved: Pete the Cat Name Activity
- Inspiration Laboratories: Pete the Cat Button Activities
- Lalymom: 3 Pete the Cat Activities
- Growing Book by Book: Pete the Cat Activities: Beginning Sound Button Cover
- Crystal & Co.: Pete The Cat Math Board Game
- Rainy Day Mum: Pete the Cat Shoe Activities for Literacy
- ready-set-read: Preschool Activities with Pete the Cat
- Playdough to Plato: Pete the Cat Glyph
- Still Playing School: Pete the Cat Inspired Reading & Gross Motor Game
- The Pleasantest Thing: Pete the Cat Busy Bag
Check out more featured authors and book activities Virtual Book Club for Kids