Explore these 10 helpful back to school tips for home and school with your child for the upcoming school year.
Back to School is one of my favorite times of the year! It’s the excitement of building and bringing a new community of students together to reach their goals for one whole year. I know of many teachers that, for the past few weeks, have been getting ready for your child to come to school. They’ve been planning out their year, designing their classrooms just for your child and mostly on their own personal time.
Here are some things that over the years I’ve found that help kids get ready for school from a teacher’s point of view.
10 Helpful Back to School Tips
At Home Back to School Tips
- Start going to bed early and waking up early at least a week before school starts to help transition into a great morning routine.
- Discuss your morning routine with your child to make it go smoothly each day.
- Set up a plan for how your child selects their clothes for school.
- Select a few first day of school books to read to help get your child ready.
- Label with permanent marker their backpack, lunchbox and jackets and sweaters.
- Make a designated place for backpack , lunchbox and school papers.
- Read books about school. (Don’t forget those summer reading assignments)
- Get your school supply list from the front office and shop early.
- Buy extra supplies to stock your house for homework and crafts or for a new teacher box.
- Create a Homework Area and Homework Routine for your child
- Make and Read the First Day of School Magic Dust Poem to help with any anxieties about the first day of school.
At School Back to School Tips
- Go to Meet the Teacher and build a connection with the teacher and classmates.
- Offer to volunteer to do things at home for the teacher, like cutting things out.
- Find out how you can donate time or items to your child’s classroom or a new teacher’s classroom.
- Fill out the Volunteer Forms as soon as possible.
- Join the PTA.
- Visit the school’s Website or Facebook Page often
- Read and Fill out promptly all the forms and papers that come home.
- Create a Special Gift for your child’s Teacher for the first day
- Get to know the Core Standards for your child’s grade, learning begins at home!
- Attend Open House Night. Have a few questions ready to ask.
Our goal is for this to be one of the most exciting times of the year for students. Let’s encourage our children to recognize the gift of education in their lives and create a love of learning.
You may also find this back to school resources helpful…