Affiliate links to products included in this post.
Alphabet Boat Matching Game:
Learning Objective: Identify the lowercase and uppercase letters in the alphabet.
- Pool Water Noodles cut into 1 inch strips *** This is an adult task.***
- Multi-Color Construction Paperr
- Scissors, 5-Inch
- Permanent Markers
- Staws cut in half
- Packaging Tape
Directions to Make the Alphabet Boat Matching Game:
To Make the Mast / Flags
1. Cut the mast out.
2. Write the letter on the mast.
3. Place a long piece of tape down sticky side up, a little more than twice the length of the mast.
4. Set the mast down. Place the straw next to it.
5. Bring the tape over to cover both sides of the mast.
6. Press to seal the edges.
To make the boat.
1. Use the open end of the straw. Twist and push to make a hole in the top of the cut pool noodle.
2. Write the matching alphabet letter on the boat. Use the same case as the mast for young children. Use opposite (uppercase and lowercase) letters for children who are ready for this skill.
How to play:
1. Take all the masts off the boats. Gently mix.
2. Allow the child to find the matching mast for each boat. Encourage them to say the name of the letter and the sound it makes. Challenge advanced learners to also give you a word that begins with the selected letter.
3. Float the letter boats in a pool or bathtub.