My kids LOVE running around outside and gathering acorns. This activity combines playing outside with learning to read sight words in an easy to prepare, fun sight word game for kids.
Sight Word Games for Fall
If your child is working on letters, sounds, or numbers, they could easily be substituted for the sight words in this activity.
Materials Needed for the Fall Sight Word Game:
Directions for Making the Fall Sight Word Game
- Gather acorns from the yard or neighborhood park.
- Put them in a clear jar with a lid.
- Cut the cardstock into small rectangles.
- Write the sight words that your child is working on this week on the small rectangles. It is recommended to focus on no more than 5 new sight words per week for young children. Mix in some they already know to help build confidence.
- Put the words in the jar with the acorns.
- Let the child mix the words and acorns together. Have them read the words as they find them in the jar!
- Set the jar on the table and mix often over the next couple days. This repeated reading provides children with more interactions with the words. Some children need to hear and read the word 500 times before it becomes automatic.
Extend the Learning with MORE Sight Word Games
Sight Word Sort
Sight Word ABC
Sight Word Hide and Seek
Plan Your Nut and Seeds Learning Week With Activities from the #PlayfulPreschool Team
Nuts to You!: Squirrel Feeder by Mom Inspired Life
Nuts and Seeds Theme: Listening Games with Sensory Sound Shakers for #PlayfulPreschool by The Preschool Toolbox Blog
Number Word Punch: Counting Nuts by Tiny Tots Adventures
Turkey Patterns with Pistashio Shells by Still Playing School
Seed and Letter Sensory Bin by Growing Book by Book
Growing Seeds by Learning 2 Walk
Exploring Chia Seeds by Powerful Mothering
Nutty Science–A Lesson in Buoyancy by Capri + 3
3 Fun Activities with Seeds for Preschoolers by Life Over C’s
Easy Sight Word Acorn Game by The Educators’ Spin On It