I love to sew! Forget Naptime crafts…sewing, baking, and gardening are all a close tie for my all time favorite activities to do with kids. They learn SO much by measuring, pinning, and choosing fabrics with me. We have LOTS of friends having babies this and next month, so we are busy making gifties like these! I like to combine some home-made with some store-bought to round out our gifts!
Sewing with young kids: a 1 year old
- Help to choose the fabrics and lay them flat before cutting.
- Help pin the pieces together. Most often they end up perpendicular, but will get better with practice
- Sit on my lap and help me guide the fabric as I sew.
- Take the pins out after I am done sewing
- Fluff, stuff, or shake depending on the project.
Sewing with young kids: For a 5 year old
All of the above and…
- Select their own projects to make
- Assist in reading the directions prior to beginning
- Cut out the pattern (this paper is tough, but if you go slow it is not too hard)
- Cut the fabric after the pattern has been pinned on.
- Cut ribbon to a specific length.
- Place embellishments on in the correct place
- Turn projects inside-out if needed
- Sew on buttons
Sewing with young kids – Make an Alligator Purse