This week is screen-free week, a time to un-plug and re-connect with the people in your life.
Take as much time as you possibly can this week to UNPLUG from electronic devices and PLUG into wonder, play, experience, and reconnect with the PEOPLE that you love.
Screen Free Week Activities and Resources
Join The Educators’ Spin On It as we share activities and resources for your family to go Screen Free for the Week.
We would love to have you join us in this 7 day screen free challenge.
Admittedly, this 7 day challenge may be difficult for some families. We urge you to consider modifying the challenge to meet your family needs; it can be “just when the kids are awake,” or it can even be just TV vs all screens, or it can be just for 3 days.
During the screen free week you can…
- Play outside: Go for a walk, bike ride, or play in the park.
- Read a book: Fiction, non-fiction, graphic novels, or anything else that interests them.
- Do arts and crafts: Paint, draw, sculpt, or make something else creative.
- Play with friends: Have a game night, go on a playdate, or just hang out and talk.
- Help out around the house: Do chores, cook dinner, or help with yard work.
- Learn something new: Take a class, watch a documentary, or read a book about something they’re interested in.
- Spend time with family: Go on a family outing, play games together, or just talk.
These are just a few ideas to get you started. The most important thing is to find activities that your child enjoys and that will help them relax and have fun after a long day of school.
We’re sharing ideas to get you prepared for a week full of activities with your family away from our televisions, laptops, iPhones, iPads, Smartphones, Gameboys, Playstations, you name it we’re UNPLUGGING for a week!
That means you too Mom and Dad! It’s time to read, think, play, create and get physically active with our families!
We’ve created a few printables to help your child experience the most from this Screen Free Week.
Screen Free Printable Sign
Here’s a sign to hang on your television or Computer Screen as a video reminder that it’s Screen Free Time. This might be helpful during the summertime as a reminder too!
Screen Free Activity Cards
We’ve created Screen Free Activity Cards. These will be helpful when they say they don’t know what to do. Have them draw a card and have fun! You could even create your own cards together as a family as you prepare.
MyCuteGraphics has many adorable free clipart graphics for you to use and be inspired with or simply draw your own or take pictures with your camera.
My I Can… Activity Book
This is another option to hang on your screens to remind your child of all the things they’re missing when they are just sitting in front of the screen. Make an “I Can Book” with them and see how many things they can discover they can do away from things that plugin!
Screen Free Week Certificate of Participation
At the end of the week give your child a Certificate of Participation to show them how proud you are!
Screen Free Activities for Kids
- Take a texture walk
- Set up science experiments
- Indoor learning activities
- Outdoor learning activities
- Mommy and Me heart healthy activity stations
- Go on an outdoor adventure: Fossil Hunting
- Get crafty with shells
- Garden with your kids
- Play a sidewalk chalk game
- Make connections with other professionals in your field
- Use your garden to teach math
- Set up a movement challenge
- Have a Teddy Bear Chalk Challenge
- Do nice things for others
Join Us for Screen Free Week
Can you do it? Just try and see if we can step away from all the screens in our lives for just a week or even a few days and see what happens. We encourage you to share on participation on your own facebook page, our facebook page or email us before or after the week. Share with your friends and coworkers.
Still a little anxious and wondering what will you do for that time? We’ve even created a Screen Free Activities Pinterest Board just for this event to save you time online as you prepare! How will you participate?
Learn more about Screen-Free Week and how to participate!
Together we can encourage less screen time for our children and families.
Leave a Comment Below if your family will be joining us for Screen Free week!
Your child may also enjoy these screen free activities…